1. Mission Statement: Under its Bylaws, the purpose of the Parkway Youth Hockey, Inc. (“PYH”) is to maintain and run a hockey program open to and inclusive of all interested youth of the Parkway area. The youth hockey program is to teach and develop hockey skills, at all times emphasizing the importance of sportsmanship, fair play, teamwork and responsibility in the overall context of having fun. This policy sets forth the guidelines that the Board of Directors (the “Board”) of PYH will follow to implement the purpose of maintaining the program so that it is open to and inclusive of all interested youth of the Parkway area.
2. Parkway Area: The Parkway area is defined as including West Roxbury, Roslindale and Jamaica Plain.
3. House Programs. PYH’s House Programs consist of the Learn to Skate program, the Instructional Hockey program, the Mite House program and the McLaughlin League. Registration for these programs will be open to Parkway residents and returning participants in the House Programs on and after a date in September to be set each year by the Board (the “Initial Registration Date”). In the event that the House Programs have not filled their capacity within four weeks of the Initial Registration Date, the Board shall set a date (the “Second Registration Date”) for new non-Parkway residents. For efficiency purposes, the Board may choose to authorize a Second Registration Date prior to the lapse of the four week period conditioned on capacity being available. Once capacity has been filled, a wait list shall be established for each House Program. Parkway residents shall have priority on all wait lists on a first-come basis.
4. Travel Programs. Under the rules of Massachusetts Hockey, no more than three non-resident players may participate on one travel team. PYH observes this limitation when constituting travel teams. Under PYH’s Team Selection Policy, in close situations, a head coach making selections should favor players currently on Parkway teams over those who did not play for Parkway in the most recent year.
5. Fees. Participants in the House Programs shall pay the same fees irrespective of residency status. Fees for travel team players shall be established by the Board each year. The fees payable by non-resident travel team players (other than those who participated on a PYH travel team or House Program in the prior year) shall be the greater of (i) the fees payable by Parkway residents and (ii) the fees payable by such player if he or she were to play in his or her town of residence. The President shall be responsible for determining the fee rates applicable to each affected non-resident player. The Treasurer shall be responsible for implementing the fees payable by each affected non-resident player in accordance herewith. Players from towns without hockey programs shall pay Parkway rates.
6. Girls’ Teams. Recognizing that girls’ teams typically draw players from multiple towns, Parkway intends to charge non-resident players on girls’ travel teams the same rate payable by Parkway resident players.
7. Board Oversight. All matters set forth herein are subject to the oversight of the Board. The Board may exercise its authority to override any provision hereof.